The one stop guide to getting your period.
Getting your first period can be exciting – but there are a lot of questions you might be too embarrassed to ask. Like how much will I bleed? Does it hurt? How can I prepare? And what’s the point of a period anyway?
Separating the fact from the fiction, Milli Hill answers everything you need to know – from menstrual cups and period pants, to cramps and hormones. She’ll explain how incredible your body is, what is actually going on each month and why.
With guidance on choosing period products, charting your cycles and preparing a first period kit, alongside profiles of ‘cycle superstars’, such as Amika George, who are working to end period poverty and start open conversations around periods, this book is the complete guide to getting your period.
So find your flow, bust some myths and start to feel proud of your monthly cycle and your truly amazing body!
It’s full of fun information to help pre-teens understand everything they need to know about periods, including:
- Why we have periods
- The correct names for body parts
- Puberty and getting your first period
- Period products including cups and period pants
- Periods and the environment
- Creating a first period kit
- Celebrating your menarche (first period)
- Cycles and how they affect us
- How to chart your cycle
- Cycle Superstars – inspiring people who have improved periods for us
- Self Care ideas such as SURFing puberty emotions, info about period pain, changing your own sheets and more!
Suitable for ages 9-12+
19 Aug 2021
Milli Hill is a freelance journalist and the author of the bestselling The Positive Birth Book, Give Birth like a Feminist, and a new book for preteens, My Period. From 2012 to 2021 she founded and ran the global Positive Birth Movement.